Tuesday, April 15, 2008

African author to speak at USU

Last summer I read a book entitled A Long Way Gone. It was written by a man named Ishmael Beah. He was a boy from Sierra Leone who was kidnapped and forced to become a boy soldier. The book recalls his life as a boy soldier and the rehabilitation process back into society. I was very moved by his story and wished that I could meet him and ask him about his experiences. Part of that wish will soon come true. I'm a member of the A-team on campus which is in charge of facilitating new student orientation. There is a class offered to incoming freshman that begins the week before school and helps them adjust to college life. Part of the class is the "common literary experience." A book is chosen by a panel and read by every incoming freshman who takes the class. This year Ishmael's book was chosen. I was very excited to find out that a few thousand students would become familiar with the story of this boy soldier. I was even more excited when I found out that he would be coming to speak to us this summer. I can't wait to hear from a man who has lived through all the trials that he has. I hope that the students who read his book will be as inspired as I feel I have been by his words.

No comments: